First Aid Course Canberra. Here are the details on how to treat anaphylaxis. Even if you don’t get to one of our first aid courses you will have the information to help.

What is anaphylaxis?

Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic response that often involves swelling, hives, lowered blood pressure and in severe cases, shock and death. Anaphylaxis requires immediate medical treatment, including a prompt injection of epinephrine and a trip to a hospital emergency room. If anaphylactic shock isn’t treated immediately, it can be fatal.

Isn’t this a FD/Paramedic issue?

Ideally, yes. However, if you are on patrol you may be the closest to respond to the 911 call. Anaphylaxis is a severe and sudden allergic reaction. It occurs within minutes of exposure to an allergen. If not treated appropriately, anaphylaxis can turn deadly very quickly. Anaphylactic shock can also occur while a suspect is in your custody both in or outside of a detention facility.

Additionally, failure to recognize anaphylaxis and to seek prompt, appropriate treatment tends to upset everyone who has more stripes or stars than you do, elected officials, and family members as well.  This is truly an ounce of prevention and quick action scenario.

What are the symptoms of an anaphylactic reaction?

The major difference between anaphylaxis and other allergic reactions is that anaphylaxis typically involves more than one system of the body.

  • Red rash (usually itchy and may have welts/hives)
  • Swollen throat or swollen areas of the body
  • Wheezing
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Chest tightness
  • Trouble breathing
  • Hoarse voice
  • Trouble swallowing
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach cramping
  • Pale or red color to the face and body

It is important to remember that, like other allergic reactions, an anaphylactic reaction does not usually occur after the first exposure to an allergen but after a subsequent exposure. You may have an allergic reaction to a bee sting, but the next sting could lead to anaphylaxis.

Leave a Reply