Last Saturday, September 15, Sitetrain, a locally owned and operated business provided the last of their heavily subsidised, Basic First Aid courses to the Parkes and Forbes sporting communities.
The final course was held in Parkes and attended by some very interested participants who were driven in part to complete it through their desire to help themselves, loved ones, friends’ or grandparents, in the event of a medical emergency. Some of the reasons for attending included dealing with life threatening anaphylactic allergies, diabetic emergencies, severe asthma or the possibility of being presented with an older grandparent or friend exhibiting signs of a heart attack or stroke.
Clancy Bolam, year six at St. Laurence’s, proudly and successfully completed his basic first aid and CPR units under the watchful eye of trainer Genevieve Howard, being the youngest participant trained to date. Clancy has been living with diagnosed life-threatening allergies since he was three and has had to previously administer his emergency EpiPen by himself.
Owners, Heidi and Damien Palazzi have been running their business which specialises in quality site-based training for the mining industry, between Forbes and Western Australia since 2010. They very generously undertook, to offer subsidised First Aid training to local sporting groups, and this was the last of the current training days.
Genevieve Howard was the trainer on the day and ran the participants through their paces. It was very interesting to note how things have changed over the course of some years, to make basic first aid simpler in some aspects, to remember and perform. Including the ease of use of the new AED (Automated External Defibrillator) devices, now readily accessible in many public venues and the emergence of new types of medical emergencies including the poisoning of young children by ingestion of lithium button batteries, so common in remote controls, electronic devices and hearing aids these days.
Great to see more groups getting involved with first aid courses in their local area.
Book a first aid course with us today at www.canberrafirstaid.com