First aid Canberra. First aid training. Asthma and Anaphylaxis. Excellent trainers. Great venue with free parking. Fast Certificate Issue.
An 11-year-old girl used first aid skills she learned at school to save her dad from needing surgery after he was severely scalded.
Michael Roscoe injured himself with a pan of boiling water while cooking at their Linthorpe home.
But luckily for him daughter Ruby was on hand to deliver instant first aid help.
She calmly told her dad to remove his clothing and instructed him to keep his arm under cold water to cool the burn and relieve the pain.
Michael received treatment for his injuries at Middlesbrough’s James Cook University Hospital.
He was told that Ruby’s quick-thinking actions had saved him from needing skin grafts.
Ruby learned vital first aid from St John’s Ambulance Service at St Edward’s Primary School, Linthorpe, and won praise for her actions.
Mum Tracey Annandale, said: ‘We’re so proud of Ruby. She had learned some first aid at school with St John Ambulance but not only did she know what to do, she kept calm and dealt with the situation very confidently.
“Her quick-thinking saved her dad from needing much more treatment and from possibly scarring.”
Ruby’s headteacher Mary Brown added: “We believe that teaching our students first aid is incredibly important.
“Not only does it give them the skills and understanding of how to best respond to an emergency with the right first aid skills but it also gives them the confidence to do the right thing when it really counts.
“By having people with the right first aid skills and who are confident to use them, we may just save a life or prevent further harm.”
Ruby’s first aid training at the school was delivered by St John’s Ambulance and funded by the Lt Colonel NL Cohen Charitable Trust.
The organisation funds projects in Teesside and has worked with the charity to provide a first aid education programme in more than 50 schools a year across the region.