Snake catcher reveals injuries from python strangulation

First Aid Course in Canberra. Nationally Recognised Certificate. Experienced Trainers. Public and Private Course Options.

THIS snake catcher said she was one minute away from dying when a python strangled her, leaving her with these horrific injuries.

Stephanie Bedo
news.com.auOCTOBER 12, 20188:26AM

Gold Coast snake catcher gets bitten by python

WARNING: Graphic

A PROFESSIONAL snake catcher has warned of the serious damage non-venomous snakes can do.

Sue Ambler was removing a python from a tree when it landed on her and wrapped around her neck, squeezing so tight it burst her blood vessels and caused friction burn on her face.

Ms Ambler, from Mission Beach in north Queensland, shared photos of her horrific injuries on Facebook as a warning for people not to attempt to catch snakes themselves.

She said her terrifying ordeal — which she nearly left her dead — showed that even non-venomous snakes could be dangerous and people should always call in the professionals.

“I was catching a snake the other day and things turned for the worst,” she said.

Snake catcher Sue Ambler shared her injuries on Facebook.

Snake catcher Sue Ambler shared her injuries on Facebook.Source:Supplied

“When I grabbed the snake out of the tree it landed around my neck and before I could unwind the snake from my neck it tightened around my neck and face and before long it asphyxiated me to the point I passed out and fell to the ground.

“If it wasn’t for the quick thinking of the people I was catching the snake for I wouldn’t be alive to tell my story.

“The ambulance guy said one more minute and I would have been dead so as a professional snake catcher this can even happen to us.”

Pythons use strangulation to kill prey as large as wallabies, and are known to kill and consume domestic pets.

Ms Ambler suffered bruised eyes and burst blood vessels.

Ms Ambler suffered bruised eyes and burst blood vessels.Source:Supplied

Ms Ambler stressed her point, further saying that pythons could be moody and cranky.

“Even though pythons are non-venomous they are dangerous too so please don’t handle snakes by yourself — call in a professional snake catcher,” she said.

“I ended up with two black eyes. I busted a lot of blood vessels in my eyes. I have friction burn on my nose from it tightening on my face and I’m in quite a lot of pain so please call a snake catcher and don’t remove snakes by yourself.”

She said her incident would not stop her doing what she loved.

Under Queensland law, people wanting to remove snakes must apply for a snake handler’s licence through the Department of Environment. It costs around $350 and includes some training.

She even had friction burns from the snake tightening.

She even had friction burns from the snake tightening.Source:Supplied

Canberra First Aid Course in Dickson is a great way to learn about snake bites and how to treat them. www.canberrafirstaid.com