Stereosonic paramedics told not to talk to police after woman’s death

The private paramedic company hired by Stereosonic has reportedly banned its staff from speaking to NSW Police after a young woman died of a suspected drug overdose at the Sydney dance festival.

An email sent to Event Medical Services staff hours after the death of 25-year-old pharmacist Sylvia Choi on Saturday night told them not to “make any comment” if approached by police, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

The company, founded by paramedic and registered nurse Mike Hammond, describes itself as Australia’s “leading specialist” in rave events.

Sylvia Choi died on Saturday evening.

Sylvia Choi died on Saturday evening.

Yesterday Mr Hammond defended the email and added he was “really pissed off” Fairfax Media had obtained an internal company document.

“They [NSW Police] come to me, I own the company, they don’t talk to anybody at the end of the queue, they call the head of the company,” Mr Hammond said.

On Sunday NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Frank Mennilli said there had been no delays in providing medical attention to festivalgoers.

November 29, 2015: A Sydney family is in mourning following the death of a 25-year-old woman due to a drug overdose at the Stereosonic dance festival.

Five lives have been lost due to drugs at New South Wales music festivals over the past 12 months.

In the wake of the latest tragedy Dr Alex Wodak, president of the Australian Drug Law Reform Foundation and director of the Alcohol and Drug Service at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney, has proposed drug testing facilities be installed at music festivals so revellers can know exactly what they are taking.

“How many more deaths are we going to have to have before we start doing what we should be doing all along and talking about better ways of preventing this?” Dr Wodak told A Current Affair.

November 30, 2015: The young Australians risking their lives at drug parties.

“By that, I mean testing the drugs, on-site or off-site, testing to see whether the drugs are what the seller claimed they were, testing to see whether they have toxic adulterants in them, testing to see what the dose of the drug is per tablet.”

© ninemsn 2015


Another excellent effort by paramedics. They have to deal with many first aid situations and drug overdoses must be some of the worst. The first aid training these guys have is always up to date and of the highest quality. Make sure you attend some first aid training in Canberra in the near future so you are ready for all emergencies.

Leave a Reply